Research

Taking the Research out of the Recipes: Sweet Dutchess relentlessly researches, taking away her favorite ingredients and ratios, adding a few creative touches of her own, and creating her perfect recipe in order to create the ultimate confectionery experience.

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Blue(berry) Velvet


Fresh Blueberry Puree
So I have to admit, even as a baker I never really found Red Velvet very endearing. I didn't quite get it. Yet as this past year progressed and I had order after order of Raspberry Red Velvet cakes and cupcakes I began to grow quite fond of this mysterious, not vanilla but not chocolate, cake. I have a few requirements for Red Velvet that I find many recipes do not yield: super moist, tender crumb, and a solid chocolate flavor. As I began researching more recipes I stumbled upon OTHER COLORS! There aren't just red velvet cakes out there: there are green, purple, lemon, white, black, you name it! Although they all vary in color, one ingredient remains the same: buttermilk.

Well, I was attracted to the blue velvet immediately! The deep, regal blue contrasting with the white, lush cream cheese frosting was just STUNNING! Since I love my Raspberry Red Velvet so much I figured I should throw a fruit in the blue velvet as well. And what fruit goes better with a blue cake than blueberries!

I started with my go-to red velvet cake recipe that yields an incredibly moist, velvety crumb and added in blueberry puree. I just love doing anything that involves my Cuisinart food processor. I don't know how I ever lived without this thing!

I also found this AMAZING blueberry sauce that I added in for a little extra umpf! St. Dalfour Organic Blueberry Sauce is an amazing addition to really anything: cakes, cupcakes, cookies, drizzle it on pancakes, you name it! I love how the company strives to create all natural, organic french cuisine. And let me tell you, the flavor is mind-blowingly delicious!

I whipped everything together and popped them into the oven. The aroma was heavenly. I loved the color too. It reminded me of  a denim blue, but not like the holey, hard working, dust covered denim; this was the dark and sultry denim that hugs every curve and is worn with stilettos.  I swirled on my famous cream cheese frosting that is slightly sweet and actually tastes like cream cheese and topped them with silver sprinkles. I think these may be the best tasting cupcakes I have ever made...ever. They are so moist, so soft and fluffy, and have an authentic velvet cake flavor with a hint of blueberry. Possibly the most perfect confection I have ever given my taste buds the pleasure of knowing.















Lucky for you, these heavenly blue angels are going to be available this weekend! Thanks for popping in! Have a sweet day and remember, there is always room for cake! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Dutchess wants to know what YOU think!